when i forget to log into ao3 and i have to click proceed to see an adult fic, i actually get a kick out of it. like i am an old timey queen and my bard is apologetic: “gentle lady, dicks doth touch in this next ballad. would you prefer another?” and i give him a gesture of command like, “nay, you may proceed, minstrel. bring forth the tale of dicks”
"Now that the dicks hath touched, prithee, make them kiss."
Asked by itsyybitsycupcakes
Step by step, this is how I did it:
1. I had a sketch on a hot pink layer. I duplicated the sketch, turned the luminescence down, merged it all together. Slapped on a base skintone, merged that with the sketch.
2. I colorpicked a shading tone from the linework that ended up being like a vaguely purply-peach color. I made a little palette on the side for colors I’d be working with. Also, I’m painting all of this entirely on one layer so that’s something to keep in mind.
3. Grabbed some more colors for my shading palette from the linework + base color layer. Started playing with highlights as well.
4. Started blocking in where I wanted darker colors for the shading and kept on blending the highlights.
5. blend blend blend blend colourpick blend blend colourpick blend etc etc ad nauseum
6. thought the colours were looking a little washed out, so i duplicated the layer, set the duplicated layer to shade, turned it down to like 11% opacity, hue shifted it to be more peachy/pink.
7. decided it was TOO pink, hue shifted it to be more neutral/yellow.
8. shade shade shade blend blend colourpick define highlights define details define define define. Opacity of my brush was varying a LOT here, like fluctuating every 7-10 strokes.
9. LE YEUX!
10. more defining. I narrowed the bridge of his nose a little and added more highlights.
11. LES YEUX! Deux yeux. Also more shading, hon hon hon.
12. Eyes are done. i think that’s the only thing thats changed here.
13. Alors, he is looking like he’s got some life in him now. This was a multiply layer, 100%, veeeery pale pink fluffed out with white.
14. And we’re done. This layer was a little bit of highlighting on the apples of his cheeks, around his eyes a bit more, I think I adjusted the weird neck-saddle shadow he’s got going on there, annnnd that’s about it!
Hope that helped!
Some of you are reblogging because you think its funny that programmers would talk to ducks. I’m reblogging because I think its funny picturing a programmer explaining their code, realizing what they did when they explain the bad code, then grabbing the strangling the duck while yelling “WHY WAS THE FIX THAT SIMPLE!? AM I GOING BLIND!”
AS A PROGRAMMER I CAN TELL YOU THAT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU FUCKING DO WE HAD TO BAN THE DUCKS FROM MY CLASSES BECAUSE EVERYONE WOULD FLIP THE DUCK OR THROW IT AT A WALL OR SOMETHING WHEN THEY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM IN THEIR CODE